Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters,
settings, ect., are the property of their respective owners. The original character and plot are the
property of the author. The author is in
no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media
franchise. No copyright infringement is
intended.
Summary: In the aftermath of the Newborn War,
the Cullen family celebrates their triumph over Victoria. Little do they know that their victory will
be short lived. A visitor comes calling;
a visitor who has been keeping tabs on the Cullen’s and Edward’s human
pet. When Caius doesn’t like what he
sees will Bella risk everything to save the vampire family she loves?
Chapter Three
|
My body felt like lead, heavy and cold. The cold wasn’t an unusual feeling for me as
I was constantly in the presence of vampires, but the weight of my arm was
definitely new, and left a lot to be desired.
A muffled blast and a following curse soon alerted me that
something was amiss, but trying to force my aching eyes open was Hell. It felt like I would literally have to peel
them open and when I finally managed it was my turn to curse. I shut them back tightly as I could,
protecting them from what I assumed was the glaring afternoon sun.
“Stupid sunlight,” I grumbled and rolled to my side with a
groan. My body felt like it had been put
through a blender. Once in control of
myself again, I—delicately this time—pulled my eyes open…and was met by two
ocher suns gleaming back at me in delight.
With a startled scream, I lurched back only to slam into a
rock hard body.
“Ouch,” I grumped, rubbing my sore elbow.
A tinkling laugh caught my attention and I turned my eyes
upwards to meet the gaze of my pixie-like sister who was tittering at me.
“Silly Bella,” Alice chirped, like today was the most
exciting day in the word, “it’s just me.”
Maybe it didn’t bother my vampire family to have someone
staring at you all the time, but I was opposed to waking up with anyone two
inches from my face.
“Thanks for that, Alice,” I said growled as I sat up from
the comfort of the massive bed I was so peaceful in just moments ago. “I didn’t know.” I was being a sarcastic grump, but wasn’t a
morning person in general and I wasn’t quite ready to be disturbed from my
hibernation in the heavenly divine duvet of white down just yet.
Her only reply was to giggle and murmur something about crankiness and coffee.
After a quick survey of my surrounding I realized quickly
that I hadn’t a clue as to where I was.
The room was cozy, covered in an abundance of creams and earth tones,
but it wasn’t until I spied the generic art-work on the walls that I realized that
I must be in a hotel room somewhere. The
Cullen’s would never stoop so low as to by a print.
My eyes continued to scan the room, taking in the creative
uses of wood and stone before my eyes fell on the offensive window that had
blinded me a few minutes ago. After I
fought my urge to scowl at the devil in pane-glass I gasped at the view of the
ocean and Mt. Rainer in the distance. It
was without words, gorgeous.
A snickering behind me told me that Rosalie was the body I
had slammed into. She was sitting to my
left with a copy—of what I was sure to be the latest issue of—Vogue. She smiled softly at me but never commented,
and I couldn’t help but return it. She
had told me so many times since my trip to Italy that she had never hated me,
but that didn’t mean we were going to be besties any time soon. However, I was still beyond grateful she was
here, wherever here was.
Hearing a low growl and a frustrated curse, my head swiveled
at an angle and I suddenly remembered the sounds that had woken me. Emmett was sitting in a chair closest to the
window, mashing his thumbs into a controller and cursing a television set that
practically swallowed the room. He was
obviously playing a video game, and not one that I even remotely recognized but
I did catch the odd words or phrase and it was something military related.
As soon as he felt my stare he looked over—never pausing his
game—and smiled.
“Hey, Belly-boo,” he waved once and went back to it, turning
up the volume.
As the sounds of glass-rattling explosions and gunfire
filled the room, all thoughts of sleep were lost to me. There would be no point trying to sleep in a
room full of vampires, especially if one of said vampires happened to be
Emmett.
Stupid,
non-sleeping vampires, I thought sourly, stretching my arms above my
head to stretch my back. It wasn’t until
I bonked my head with something heavy and hard did I notice that my left arm
was in a cast, a gaudy purple cast, which looked like Alice had taken her
bedazzling machine to it.
Great.
“Alice,” I said warily, still looking around the room for
any indication of what was going on.
“Where are we?
“Seattle.” She
answered absently, furiously typing something into her phone.
I sighed in exasperation, because I was pretty sure I knew
that already. “What gave it away, Alice,
the Pacific Ocean or Mt. Rainer? I
meant, where in Seattle?”
“The Four Seasons,” Rosalie supplied easily as she hopped up
from her perch beside me and flitted into husband’s lap, which he welcomed with
a smile.
“Why?”
“Why what?” Alice
replied still not giving me her full attention.
She would if she realized just how close her expensive pink phone was to
becoming rubble as it shattered on Emmett’s forehead.
“Why are we here?” I
snapped. “Where is everybody else? Where’s Edward?”
My outburst must have been louder than I thought, or at
least loud enough not to be ignored.
Emmett suddenly shut off his gaming system and all eyes focused on me.
“Bella,” Alice sighed as she crossed her legs Indian style
and turned to face me, “How much do you remember?”
I scrunched my brow in confusion. “I remember everything. I remember the fight, Jake getting… Oh God,
Jacob… is he…,” my mind was racing at all the possibilities. Was he dead?
Was he badly hurt? What had
happened to my best friend; my Sun?
“Jacob is fine, Bella.
Carlisle is still with him and won’t be able to join us until
tomorrow.” Alice said calmly, but I
really didn’t like the way she said join
us. I was about to question her on
it, but I decided I had more pressing questions to clear up and would save that
one for later.
“Go on, what else do you remember?” She encourage, taking up a permanent pen and
reclaiming her designs on my cast.
I wracked my brain, trying to remember the events of earlier
in sequence. “The Volturi came, they
wanted to kill the newborn and then—
My heart stopped short as the rest of the memory replayed in
rapid succession in. Ruby eyes, white
hair, a scar…Caius. Edward. Growling.
Pain. Pet.
“I passed out.” Tears
sprang to my eyes as I chocked on the memory of Edward’s betrayal. Pet, I was Edward’s pet and he was…
Well, I never got to hear that part but my imagination I’m
sure couldn’t do it justice.
Alice nodded.
“What happened after?”
I asked, swiping one rouge tear, which despite my attempts to be brave,
slipped from my eyes.
“Well,” she sighed in a very human way. “Jasper and Alec have taken Edward and Bree
north to Denali where they will be staying until after your change. Caius has agreed to let them live because of
Carlisle’s close association with Aro.
Bella you have to understand, if Edward were anyone else…” she trailed
off. She didn’t need to finish, I knew
very well that if it hadn’t been for Carlisle both Edward and Bree would be
dead.
“Bella, do you need a human moment before I finish
explaining the rest?”
I shook my head frantically; I couldn’t possibly wait.
She nodded at me and I took a deep calming breath, though I
was positive it wouldn’t help in the slightest.
“I started having visions of you with the Volturi shortly
after we arrived at the festival. I
didn’t understand them at the time or what they meant. It wasn’t until you found Edward… I’ve seen so many scenarios, so many
different ways for him to do it, but in the end… Bella, you always end up dead.”
My heart stuttered in my chest as I absorbed all of the new
information she had given me. In the
very depths of my soul, I knew what she was trying to tell me but…denial is a
girl’s best friend.
“So, you’re saying is that he wouldn’t have been able to handle
his bloodlust, like a slip?” It was a
bit of a stretch and I knew it but I just had to believe that Edward really
loved me, that I wasn’t…some pet; his…pet.
Alice shook her head sadly, her shoulders sinking in on tiny
frame with guilt. “I’m sorry Bella.”
My eyes filled with tears and this time I didn’t attempt to
hold them back as I slumped against Alice.
It all finally made sense to me; his affections, his possessiveness, his
protectiveness. Everything finally made
sense. He was never lying to me in the
woods behind my house. He had never
loved me, not in the sense that I wanted him to. He loved my human traits, my silent mind, and
the scent of my blood, but never me. The
thought of his betrayal against me was heartbreaking but it was not the heart-wrenching
pain that I had suffered months prior.
Tears continued to stream down my face and I let them. I let it all out; every agonizing wail I had
held in for my past love and the humiliation he caused me.
Alice just held me, whispering words of encouragement as she
rocked us. She was a balm to my soul in
my desperate need for a connection of any kind.
Sometime during my cry I must have fallen asleep because
when I awoke it was dark and I was alone.
I could hear raised voice from the adjoining room but I had no idea what
they could be arguing about now. Is
Emmett fighting with Rose again over the X-Box?
Curiosity got the better of me and I went to investigate,
though I should have known better than to try and get the drop on advanced
vampire hearing. As soon as my feet hit
the floor the voices stopped and not a second later Alice floated into the room
with a set of folded clothes and a whisker-basket full of toiletries.
“Morning sleepyhead.”
She sing-songed. “Are you feeling
better?”
Actually, I was. I
couldn’t believe it. I waited for the
despair and pain to clutch at my heart now that I knew Edward and I were done
forever, but it never came. I conclude
that during my last breakdown and recovery that, perhaps I didn’t need Edward
as much as I thought I did.
I beamed at Alice.
“Yeah, I really think I am.”
She squealed and clapped her hands, her shining smile bright
enough to illuminate the dimly lit room as she plopped down on the bed beside
me.
“What time is it?” I
questioned, not really knowing if it was morning or night.
“4:00am,” I gaped at her; I just couldn’t believe I slept so
long. But I guess seeing as I slept in a
tent the night before with my werewolf best-friend and my vampire ex-boyfriend
in sub-below temperatures, I guess I was kind of tired.
“There’s still a lot we need to talk about but I thought you
might like a shower and something to eat before we get started.”
My stomach growled as if on cue and I nodded my head
enthusiastically. A hot shower and food
really did sound amazing right now.
It was a pain in the ass—to say the least—trying to shower
without the use of one of your arms, especially when said arm just happens to
hurt like hell. I didn’t last five
minutes before I gave up and called for Alice.
I needed help and promised myself that I wasn’t getting out of this
shower until my hair was washed and my body was free from the debris of the
wilderness and vampire ash of yesterday’s activities.
Alice was only too happy to oblige to my request as it gave
her an excuse to try out an assortment of new hair care products at her
disposal. I didn’t care what she used
when I stepped out of that shower later I was glowing like a queen. I forwent my shaving regiment for the time
being; it wasn’t like I could properly shave with one arm and the thought of nicking myself in a hotel room full of
vampires was not at all appealing to me.
Alice giggled when I told her this and waved off my concern; apparently
I already had a reservation at the hotel’s spa tomorrow and according to her I
wouldn’t have to worry about shaving again for a very long time.
Cryptic
little pixie, I thought to myself.
I could only guess that she meant that I might be changed sooner rather
than later, because from what I understood, vampires didn’t exactly get
stubble.
However enticing the conversation about body hair removal
might have been, I was anxious to find out what was going on and what our next
move would be. So with the help of my
own scheming fairy-like friend, I dried off and set about getting dressed. If I didn’t think Jasper would kill me, I
would have kissed Alice when I unfolded my the clothing she had brought me and
found a pair of stylish yoga pants and a sweatshirt; vampire royalty or not, I
had had a hard day and how fashionable I looked didn’t even blip on my radar of
concern. And hey, at least with Alice
buying them, they were guaranteed to be designer.
The doorbell rang just as I opened the door to what I
thought was an adjacent hotel room, which quickly dispelled the notion and left
me in awe as I realized we were not staying in a hotel room but a suite, and a
large one at that.
I really should have known better.
Alice zipped past me, giggling at my grumblings. I dutifully ignored her and made my way into
the living area only to stop in my tracks to take in my surroundings. I had never been in a hotel suite like this
one before and I still didn’t know how to act.
Even having lived around the supernatural for the past year,
I still didn’t understand their need for luxury. They had no need for a fancy dining area;
they didn’t eat. They didn’t need a
large living room with plush furniture; they could sit on a rock and be just as
comfortable. They didn’t need beds; they
didn’t… well, never mind, I could only guess as to the uses they had for a
bed. Not
everyone is denied, Bella.
Whatever the link was between vampires and pretty things, I
can’t say that I was too put out by the grandeur of the room. The large living room was light, airy and
decorated with a Northwestern inspired flare.
The plush cream colored sectional seemed warm and inviting and the ashen
wood floor and Asian inspired art really made it feel like a new exotic
space. It may have been a hotel suite
but it was really like living in a luxury apartment. They even had stone fireplaces and dining
area for six; not that it would see any use in the near future unless one of
the couples…
Stop it,
Bella!
Five pairs of eyes met mine as I entered the room, three of
them shinning red garnets and two golden balls of sunshine. As Alice was still at the door—presumably
taking care of room service—I found myself not knowing what to do. So I stood there hoping from one foot to the
next in my nervousness until Rosalie—bless her undead soul—noticed my
predicament and came to my rescue by patting her hand lightly on the couch
cushion between her and Emmett.
Jane and Demetri looked comical sitting in the single club
chairs; Jane staring me down with a glare and Demetri looking off into space,
boredom clearly etched on his marble face.
Felix was nowhere to be seen and there was still no sign of Carlisle and
Esme. My guess was that they were still
in Forks working on putting the pieces of my childhood friend back
together. Alec and Jasper were clearly
still in Alaska and it made me feel guilty that I was keeping Alice away from
her mate.
Standing just beyond Jane was Caius, looking amazing as ever
in a tailored black suit and crimson red shirt.
My mind wandered as I stared and I briefly wondered if it was difficult
getting someone that looked like Caius into a hotel like the Four Seasons
without raising suspicions.
Out of all of the vampires I had ever met or seen Caius was
what came to mind when the word vampire first registered in my brain. He really didn’t look like the rest of his
species, and if I were honest with myself I would admit that he was all the
more beautiful for it. Yes, he had the
classic pale skin and ruby eyes like his brethren, but that’s where the
similarities ended.
His hair was a strange.
When I had first met Caius in Volterra, I had passed off his fair hair
as platinum blond, but I was wrong.
Seeing him in the natural light of day and now in a well lit room, I
realized his hair was literally the color of snow; almost cast silver under to
the moonlight seeping in through the window panes.
His biggest mystery was his scar. I had seen vampire scars before; Jasper was
covered in them. Literally thousand s of
crescent shaped marks mapped his body, but Caius’ scar was different.
Alice cleared her throat, alerting me that I had been
busted, yet again, and ogling vampire royalty.
The man was going to think I was a
mental case, I scolded myself as I sat up abruptly and tucked into my food;
hoping no one would notice how embarrassed I was.
It didn’t work.
I quickly started working on the burger Alice ordered me in
earnest, moaning out my pleasure with that first bite. A fleeting thought of buying Alice another
Porsche—should I ever have the means to do so—had my Tinkerbelle-like friend
giddy and telling me she wanted one in red this time.
“Take these,” Alice commanded, handing me two white tablets
after I had finished off the last of my sweet-potato fries. “Carlisle said it would help with the
pain. He’s bringing you something stronger
when he arrives tonight.” I took them
gratefully, swallowing them down with a glass of cool water, hoping for even a
brief respite from the pain I was in.
“Alright,” she said a minute later, determination seeping
into her tone. “Bella this may be hard
for you to understand but I wanted you to know beforehand that you will always
be a part of this family.”
She may have meant to be reassuring me with her words of
encouragement but in all honesty, she was making me nervous. What the hell did she mean I would always be
her family? I thought I already was,
unless…
“Bella, we will be leaving tomorrow night for Volterra.”
“What?” I screeched,
jumping to my feet.
She winced at the high pitch of my voice but I didn’t
care. I had done everything I could to
ensure that my family would be safe from harm and now they were turning me over
to the Volturi, just like that?
“Bella,” called a sultry voice from the corner of the room I
had been trying to ignore. I knew who it
was of course, but like I said, I had been trying to ignore him. “Do you remember who I am?”
I glared in his direction, anger bubbling up from within at
his implication that I was only human and therefore dumb. “Yes, I remember you. I’m human, not stupid! Now, what the hell is going on? No more games.”

No comments:
Post a Comment