Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Chapter Two

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property of their respective owners.  The original character and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Summary: In the aftermath of the Newborn War, the Cullen family celebrates their triumph over Victoria.  Little do they know that their victory will be short lived.  A visitor comes calling; a visitor who has been keeping tabs on the Cullen’s and Edward’s human pet.  When Caius doesn’t like what he sees will Bella risk everything to save the vampire family she loves?




 
                                     Chapter Two                                        
~Bella~





I’m sure the others had to have seen him long before my weak human eyes could, but that didn’t stop me from searching the trees in the distance.  It was a mere seconds before my eyes found his lithe body, cloaked in ebony robes of a leader.  He traveled slowly, stalking out from under the dark cover of the foliage at the northern end of the field. 

The previous fight of over the newborn Bree was momentarily forgotten as the Volturi Guard scurried to form a protective line around their King. 

For that, I was grateful; I had no wish to see anyone else die today.

In my times spent with the Cullen’s I had always been a little envious of their natural—or should I say, unnatural—grace, but even Alice had nothing on this member of vampire royalty.  The fluid movements he made during his slow descent to rest in front of Carlisle made me want to weep at the sheer beauty.  Where the Cullen’s were like water in motions, Caius seemed to be created from thick, swirling smoke.  The dark black of his cloak only added to the fantastical imagery that this man created for me. 

The irony of my thoughts was not lost to me, as all vampires had to suffer the violent burning flames of venom in order to gain their immortality, only to rise from the ashes and smoke to live again. 

Once again, I had to marvel at my own imagination.  Sometimes my mind truly ran away with me. 

My mind continued to wander as I watched the white beast approach us through patches of thick clover and thistle.  His face was still covered by his heavy cloak but I hardly needed to remember those piercing glowing eyes or his striking face. 

Never in my life had I seen a man like the youngest of the Volturi Kings.  In my mind’s-eye I could see hair in the color of the freshly fallen snow blowing like a winter storm around a sculpted face.  It would be cut in a fashion of old; tied in a low tail and falling to rest nearly at his hips.  I could see eyes: blood red, full of hatred and as hard and precious stone and just as stunning. 

He had stunned me to silence the first time I had seen him in the grand throne room in Volterra; to me he seemed more demon than vampire.  He was handsome as any of his species, but he was also different; he was marred.  I remembered as single scar cutting across his diamond skin from the bridge of his perfect nose to the apple of his pale cheek.  The memory of that scar was a vivid one, mostly because I had been so enraptured with it when I had first seen it.  Edward had been no help when I had asked him how a vampire could attain a scar like that; rather he only sneered and told me I shouldn’t bother worrying about something so ugly.  I had to disagree because personally, I think it only added to the masculinity that Caius already exuded.

During this meeting, however, I found myself not baffled by a scar but by how tall he was.  He had been slouched over on his throne the last time we shared face time and while I knew he was bigger than his brothers, I had no idea just how much bigger he was.  I don’t know why it surprised me so much; I had become used to giant men over the summer.  Caius was not quite so tall or wide as Jacob or Sam but he was certainly taller that Felix or Emmett. 

I laughed out loud at the thought of Emmett being dwarfed in his presence and Jasper turned to me with a brow raised in question.  It was only a split second but his eyes and demeanor spoke highly of his amusement and curiosity.  I’m sure the others wanted to as well but were far too frightened by our unexpected visitor to remove their gaze from the Volturi King. 

Edward paid no mind to what must be my insanity creeping in and interestingly enough, neither did Caius.  They seemed to be locked in a silent conversation of some sort; staring intently at one another. 

It was only a miracle that I held back my gasp of shock when Caius finally lowered the soft black hood of his cloak as he revealed his face to us.  My memories did him little to no justice.  As if he had read my mind, a flicker of emotion danced in his eyes before his lips turned up in a subtle but sultry smirk. 

My face flamed bright with color and in that moment Edward—who had been previous crouched before me—shot up and gripped my forearm almost painfully.  It was only then that I realized I had taken several steps forward, like my body was being pulled by magnets.  I could not see Edward’s face, but it was obvious by the harsh grip he held on my arm that he was angry.

A hard, irritated growl rising through the cool morning air only confirmed Edward’s anger and it left my body shivering with the tingling fear that trickled down my spine.  It was no secret to me—or anyone else for that matter—how much Edward despised the Volturi, but I had no idea of the hate and disdain Edward seemed to hold for this King in particular. 

“Edward please, you’re going to get us all killed.”  Rosalie hissed low, her face screwed up in exasperation.  Obviously, Rosalie knew that Edward had a hot temper and the mouth to follow it.  But strangely, she wasn’t looking at Edward as she normally did when she was chastising him…she wasn’t looking at him at all.  My eyes left Rosalie’s face and tracked her line of sight…

I shrunk back when I found what she was staring at.  It was Caius and the smirk he was sporting just moments ago was long gone, replaced by black narrowed eyes.  I found new meaning in the saying: if looks could kill.  As Edward’s growl rose and his hand tightened around my arm, I found myself torn as to who I should be more frightened of; Edward or Caius?

“You should listen to your sister.”  Jane said with an expression I could only describe as a promise of pain.  Her small face was hard and angry. 

Another shiver.

“Edward,” Carlisle whispered softly, obviously trying not to spoke him in his volatile state, “son, you need to let go of Bella.”

For a moment I was confused.  Why would Carlisle want Edward to release me?  But as Edward’s grip on my delicate human flesh grew tighter, I looked down and figured out why.  My hand was a sickening color mixture of white and purple as it swelled and cried out for the oxygen my fingers so desperately needed.  Edward didn’t answer; he didn’t even acknowledge his father’s request.  His only response was to snarl louder and grip tighter. 

“Edward,” I whimpered, my voice sounding strained.  “Please let me go, you’re hurting me.” I was begging, trying to pry my injured hand free from the incredible strength of his hold, all the while knowing it was a pointless endeavor.  If Edward didn’t wish to release me of his own will, I would be going nowhere.  I would only break my own arm trying, or he would draw blood in the presence of twelve vampires.

The voice that came to my rescue chilled me to the bone, but also left an impression on me that I couldn’t quite make sense of. 

“Release her.”  Caius commanded coolly.  His voice was deep and rough and not at all what I expected from the fair haired vampire.  His voice was cold in its authority but never once did it let on to the immense anger I could see sighing like a beacon behind his narrowed onyx eyes. 

All was quiet for several seconds and by the looks of things I would guess that another silent conversation was being held.

“I will never allow you to corrupt her with your filth.”  Edward spat suddenly, “She would never go with you willingly and…” his words trailed off into a hum too low for my human ears to register, but whatever he had said it was made apparent that it wasn’t good. 

Snarls erupted throughout the vampires on both sides, but not a single eye was on the Volturi threat.  They were all staring at… Edward?

Had he said something insulting?  Had he stupidly challenged or threatened one of them?  As I was not privy to most of the conversation as a whole, I could take a guess as to what had everyone so upset.

“Edward,” Carlisle gasped, his eyes wide and his face shocked still, “you can’t mean that.”

Edward scoffed, “Of course I meant it, Bella belongs to me and no other… I would not see her sullied by a venom as grotesque as his.”

Esme looked horrified by whatever Edward had agreed to and Emmett, Rose, Jasper and Alice looked downright pissed.  Carlisle though, frightened me.  He looked devastated and disappointed. 

What in the hell could he have said?

“Is that what you think, Boy?”  Caius asked with a chuckle, his lip curling to one side.  “Do you really think you could do it before I removed your arrogant head form your shoulders?  I don’t think you can.  Let us see, shall we?”

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jane and Alec share a look, a smirk, if you will, before schooling their features.  As insane as it would have been, I had to hold back a laugh at how young and radiant they looked when they were being mischievous.

I probably would have laughed if Edward hadn’t tightened his grip yet again, causing me to cry out.  “Edward, please!” I begged again, pulling and tugging at his arm to get him to understand; to get him to set me free.

“Carlisle,” Caius spoke coldly, “if he doesn’t release her I shall have his head removed, permanently.” 

Caius never moved a muscle, but Jane and Felix took a step closer toward Edward and I could rapidly see this ending badly. 

Carlisle sighed and nodded, visibly shaken at the prospect of his son’s death, but he calmed himself quickly and turned to Jasper as he softly spoke.  “Jasper, please?”

Jasper smiled brightly, seeming more than obliged to help. 

It took all of two seconds for Edward’s face to become slackened and to wobble on his feet.  He released my arm as he staggered backwards and my honey-blonde brother took him down with a swift kick to his legs before flipping him on his back and pinning him quickly with the heel of his boot.  By the time Edward’s eyes focused once again there was little he could do but thrash and scream. 

Alice rushed to my side just as I started to waver, steading me quickly before I fell to the ground as well.  My arms tingled with the blast of blood that raced through my veins, making me almost dizzy.  Blinding pain coursed through my injured arm and I held it protectively to my chest as if it would shield it from any more damage. 

“Alice?”  Carlisle questioned from his post in front of Caius.

Alice took my throbbing arm into her ice cold hands and I hissed on contact.  The white finger marks of Edward’s hand were rapidly bleeding into darker, angry marks of red, purple and black. 

“I don’t think it’s broken, but…,” Alice trailed off, her face twisted into a grim look that didn’t look right on her pixie-like face.  I could only imagine the implications of that look.  “…with these contusions, it’s very hard to tell.”

“May I?”  Carlisle asked a moment later, asking what I’d hope was permission to examine my insured arm. 

Caius nodded soundlessly, but never removed his gaze from Carlisle as he walked toward me.

I tried my best not to stare, I really did.  But Caius was everything I remembered and more and not staring at him didn’t seem to be an option.  I let my gaze travel the long length of his body, from the expensive leather shoes on his feet to the very tip-top of head; the man was indeed a magnificent form of the male gender.  When my eyes finally found his face, I found his hard crimson gaze staring intently back at me. 

My face began to heat under his scrutiny, a traitor blush coloring the apples of my cheeks.  I tried tilting my head down to hide but Emmett’s chuckle told me I had utterly failed. 

Carlisle was speaking to me, I could hear his voice but his words were muffled.  I was dazed, dazzled and lost to Caius’s ruby eyes.

“Bella?”

“Huh?”  I asked stupidly, breaking eye contact with Caius to look into the mirth filled eyes of Carlisle.

Carlisle chuckled.  “I said, you have a rather mild fracture of the radius, but will need a radiograph to be sure.”

All of a sudden, Edward lurched under Jasper’s boot, nearly springing free, “No,” he screamed, struggling even harder to get loose.  “She’s not going anywhere!”

At the time I had no idea what Edward was going on about.  Was he saying I couldn’t go to the hospital?  Or was it something else that had been projected into his thoughts?  Either way, his foul attitude was getting on my nerves. 

Later it would be brought to my attention that Edward’s attitude had been the result of a combination of things.  It was a poisonous mixture of ‘someone else’s thoughts’ and the fact that I had once again, unknowingly, gravitated toward Caius.

“Shut your mouth, foolish boy.”  Caius growled.  “I am tiring of the game you are trying to play.  I came here for a reason.  As a favor to my brothers I was asked to check on Ms. Swan after certain things had been brought to their attention.  Did you really think I would retreat just because you are disinclined to give up your pet?”

My eyes snapped to his in confusion and then down at Edward.  What?  What the hell did he mean by pet?  What the hell was going on?  The Volturi were concerned about me?  And why was I subconsciously trying to reach out to Caius?

As if she had plucked the thought from my mind, Alice smiled comfortingly, “Everything will be fine, Bella.  Just please, follow your heart.”

Carlisle shook his head as if trying to shake an offensive thought from his mind.  “I’m sure I don’t understand.   Bella is Edward’s mate.  She is family; we would never consider her a pet.”

“Hnn,” grunted Caius as he sneered in Edward’s direction, “I have been very well informed of just how precious the girl is to Edward, isn’t that right?”

Feeling the need to justify the relationship I held with my fiancé, I tried to speak out against the slanders Caius was accusing Edward of. 

“But-I…”  I stuttered—not the most effective way to start an argument.  “Edward has always—

“It’s true, Carlisle.”  Alice said softly, looking up at me with watery eyes.  She moved to approach Edward and he hissed at her, looking betrayed.  Jasper, of course, didn’t take to Edward’s attitude toward his mate in kind and pressed the heel of his boot to the back of Edward’s neck, cutting him off from speaking.

Carlisle and the rest of the family looked confused and unsure of Alice…well, expect Rosalie, who almost looked smug.  Perhaps I was wrong for all the times I had listened to Edward rant about how self-absorbed she was. 

“All of it is true,” Alice continued, her voice finding strength the longer she spoke.  “Bella was never destined for Edward and he knew that.”

Tears blazed in my eyes at even the mere thought of what Alice was implying.

“That makes no sense.  Why would Edward take the time to bring her around the family, to be with her if she wasn’t his mate?  And you said you saw her as one of us?”  Emmett questioned, scratching his thick skull in confusion as he brought to light so seriously good questions, that it gave me a sliver of hope. 

He was right, after all.  Why would Edward take the time to get to know me, to bring me to his family, if he didn’t love me?

Alice shifted nervously on her feet, not looking me in the eye as she answered.  “I did see her as one of us.  I still see her as one of us.  I always thought because I had seen Bella as a vampire that it had to be Edward who changed her.  I was wrong.”  She finished, hanging her head guiltily. 

I hated seeing the pain etched on her beautiful face but I made no move to comfort her, I was still too confused to know what to think.

Suddenly her head snapped up and she glowered at Edward.  “I’m not wrong about this.  I know who changes Bella and it isn’t Edward.  It was in Italy when the visions changed but I saw what would happen to Bella if she were to remain with Edward.”

“What would happen?”  Esme asked, her eyes filled with fear and concern.

“Death.”  Alice replied sadly.  “I’ve seen it a thousand different ways, but it always ends the same, Bella is dead and Edward is sporting bright red eyes.”

Edward snapped again, screaming at me.  “Don’t listen to them Bella!  I love you!” 

It was only then that anything Alice had said started to seem believable.  Edward was always adamant that I always listen to Alice, and now all of a sudden he’s accusing her of being a liar?  I didn’t make sense.  I didn’t fit.

Jasper growled out a short, “Shut the fuck up, Edward,” as he pressed his boot further into Edward’s neck, cutting off anymore of Edward’s rant.

All was quiet for a moment as the family hovered around me.  Honestly, I think they were worried about how I would handle this seeing as I didn’t fare so well the last time I had a major falling out with Edward.  It only solidified things with me though, if they were worried about how I would take what Alice had said then they must believe what she said. 

“Okay, so don’t behead me for asking stupid questions or anything but—how did you know about all of this?”  Emmett asked, looking directly at Caius. 

If this hadn’t already been such a tiring, confusing day I would have laughed at my brawny brother.  Leave it to Emmett to ask a perfectly plausible question and sound like a complete dumb-ass doing it.  But this time, I was genuinely curious as to what the answer might be to this particular question.

“I called them,” a soft voice whispered.

My face snapped to Alice’s as the rest of the family unanimously cried, “What?”

“Why?”  Carlisle asked, almost looking betrayed as he stared down his daughter.  “Why not come to the family?  Why go to the Volturi?” 

Alice looked incensed as he replied defensively, “She can’t stay here, Carlisle.  Even if you send Edward to Alaska, he would still come for her eventually.  That and…” she trailed off, nervous again.

“And?”  Rosalie barked impatiently. 

And, it’s where she belongs, Rose.”  She snapped back, then in a quieter voice she continued, “It’s where she was always supposed to end up.”

My heart took a dive as my knees lost the ability to support my legs.  Within a human heartbeat Rose was at my side and slumped into her willingly, wanting to do nothing more than sleep for a week and forget about this whole mess.  I need time to think, I needed time to sort out my mind.  I was still too buzzed from all the excitement to put things into prospective.  But even as I started to freak out, Alice’s words kept ringing in my ears…Just please, follow your heart.

“Master,” Jane called, relieving me of the jumbled mess in my brain, even if it was just for a moment.  “What shall we do with the new one?”

My heart lurched painfully in my chest and before I knew what I was doing, I was scrambling over to Caius.  “Please don’t kill her!”  I begged, my hands clutching to his robes with numb fingers.

His face lowered to my own and I froze, just now coming to the realization of what I was doing and to whom. 

I must be going mental.

He hovered over me before dipping his head down into the crook of my neck.  “Hmmm,” he breathed, “…so sweet.” 

My heart took off, beating at unnatural speeds as my breath came out in uneven gasps.  As mortifying as it was, I was highly aroused.  What was worse was that between the color of my cheeks and the scent of my wantonness, I was positive everyone standing on this field knew it. 

I waited in my embarrassment. 

It seemed like forever, but finally he spoke again.

With a wave of his hand, he dismissed his guard, “Leave her be.” 

It was all I needed to hear before the blood rushing in my ears became too much and the blackness finally came to take me.


No comments:

Post a Comment